This is for the International SM-G935F/FD/X, Korean SM-G935S, and Canadian SM-G935W8 Exynos Edge models only! Do not flash on regular S7 or Qualcomm models!
WARNING #1: Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on.
You generally don’t have to worry, as it’s incredibly hard to brick a Samsung device, and physical damage warranties should be exempt from Knox triggering.
WARNING #2: The Galaxy S7 stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications!
SOLUTION: Follow the full rooting steps below, in order, to allow system modifications without the risk of a boot loop!
WHAT IS TWRP?
Oh come on, you know what it is – don’t try to fool me!
In case you’re serious, though…
Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.
You can find the device page here:
There is a download link there, as well as instructions on how to flash it.
I highly recommend using Odin to flash when possible.
You can find a zip containing Odin as well as a link to Samsung’s Mobile drivers page here:
FULL STEPS FOR OBTAINING ROOT
- In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Now go to Settings -> Developer options. (above About device)
You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on.
- Extract Odin_3.10.7.zip to your computer.
- Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers for Odin to find your device.
- Download a .tar image of TWRP for hero2lte.
- Reboot your device into Download mode. To do this, select reboot from the power menu and hold the [Volume Down] + [Home] buttons while your device reboots.
Once you reach the Download mode warning screen, press [Volume Up] to continue.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot without touching any other options, then press [Start].
- Hold [Volume Up] + [Home] buttons near the end of the flash, and keep holding them until you are in recovery.
- At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don’t follow step 12 you will be unable to boot!
If you are going to root your device and follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
- Go to [Wipe] -> [Format Data] (not advanced wipe) -> type “yes”.
WARNING: This will wipe your internal storage, disable encryption, and factory reset your phone!
- Go to [Reboot] -> [Recovery].
- If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
Download the latest SuperSU by Chainfire.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
If you only want a bootable system partition or writable data in TWRP:
Download dm-verity and force encryption disabler.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
- Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
- Wait 5-15 minutes for your device to finish setting itself up.
* MTP, known as Media Transfer Protocol, is the same way you transfer files from your PC to your device when booted into system.
- v3.0.2-0 – See here for the changes.
- v3.0.1-0 – Fixed USB OTG storage
- v3.0.0-0 (twrp.me) – Disabled backup/restore of modem partition (must be signed and flashed in Odin)
- v3.0.0-0 – Initialize new device tree based on Samsung OSRC G935FXXU1APAW kernel.
- MTP support
- USB Mass Storage support
- Micro SDcard and USB OTG storage support
- f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- exFAT file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- NTFS file system support (read, write, format)
- ADB root
- Full SELinux support
- Built in android 6.0 tree
- Samsung encryption is not supported yet in TWRP 3.0.0 (see: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/17308/)
CONTACT & SUPPORT
You can find us on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.
TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery (android-6.0)
Device tree: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_d…msung_hero2lte (master)
Kernel: https://github.com/jcadduono/nethunter_kernel_herolte (twrp-6.0)
Team Win Recovery Project – Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
jcadduono, Team Win & friends
Source Code: https://github.com/jcadduono/android…amsung_herolte
Current Stable Version: 3.0.2-0
Stable Release Date: 2016-04-05
Last Updated 2016-04-07